Friday, June 28, 2013

"Stockholm Syndrome"

I am beginning a lithograph that will probably be the most technical print I have made in a long time...I plan on drawing multiple layers of rendered color rather than using large flats of color.  Here are the in progress shots for "Stockholm Syndrome"
 Beginning the drawing...these little birds are a ton of fun to draw...

 Almost time for the autographic in...This step actually takes the longest.  While using autographic ink prevents me from using a tone of crayons in the solid black areas...it is also super greasy.  I have to be extremely care when applying it in order to avoid destroying the hours of drawing i just completed.  I paint it on with a small paint brush which is tedious and nerve-racking.
 I carefully completed the image and it is now ready for the first etch.
 Here is the stone inked up in black and ready for the second etch.
 Printed in "Trophies Brown" on Somerset Satin paper.
 Now to begin the color...I have drawn the first color layer (Yellow) on frosted mylar with stabillo pencils and exposed the drawing onto a photo plate.
 The second color is a greenish blue which overlaps the yellow o give me a variety of blues, greens, and yellows.
 A medium brown is printed to flesh out the patterns of the stained glass window in the background.
 I have now printed an antique brown over the entire background leaving out the birds, the figure in the foreground, and the flames.
 A layer of magenta rendering is added to give more dimension.
 Three skin tones help to create dramatic lighting on the female figures face.
 two more colors help to add tonal range to the figures clothing and hair.
 A deep red-brown push the depth and space around the figure.
 A flat grey is added to give dimension and detail to the flames...
Finished!  Man...that was a lot of drawing and a lot of printing...15 colors 

No comments:

Post a Comment